The promise that a face retouch, a reduction in body contour or perfect breasts can change your life, and for a cheaper cost than usual, hides risks that can be fatal to health. Taking into account the number of patients who die or suffer serious complications during an intervention, the need to take all necessary precautions becomes more than evident.
When someone decides to have cosmetic surgery, they must understand that this is not like going shopping. It is an operation of entering an operating room, where there are always risks. For this reason, the professional’s opinion has to be above any other aesthetic consideration.
Experience shows, however, that it is often patients who are seduced by unsafe proposals. Among the most frequent promise that every wish can be fulfilled with the help of the scalpel or that it can be done at a low cost.
Another inadvisable practice is that of the doctor who prefers not to give the patient too much detail so as not to scare him and avoid “prior stress.” There is also the case of the surgeon who does not communicate to the patient that they must sign a prior consent of the details of the operation.
The patients are partly to blame because many come to the consultation after having visited three or four surgeons. Many know how to follow the doctor’s advice and accept no for an answer, but others prefer to go to the one who is going to tell them that on Monday they can go to work, that they do not have to rest or that they will consent to everything they ask for.
- The surgeon must possess a university degree that authorizes him to carry out surgeries.
- The facilities to operate must be enabled.
- The doctor must perform routine pre-surgical tests on the patient.
- The surgeon must question the patient about his history of previous anesthesia and treatments, including non-invasive surgeries.
- The operating room must include minimum equipment for anesthesia, comparable to that of intensive care.
- The procedures inside the operating room must include sterilization techniques, and the elimination of microorganisms to avoid infections.
- The only strong point of the proposal cannot be its low cost.